Sheath, mask or pouch making
On this course you will create a sheath, mask or pouch in cow leather for your favourite tool.
It could be a knife you have handled with us (see the knife handling course here), an old friend whose sheath has become a little worn or even a knife that came in a plastic sheath that you want to replace.
We will guide you through the design and stitching and riveting to make a sheath for your knife that is both decorative and functional.
The designs on offer are:
- Bowie type sheath
- Fold over style sheath
- Small pouch for either fixed blade or folding knife
- Axe mask
If you have other designs in mind we are happy to look at them and try to accommodate you.
NB: it is important that we know what you want to make before you arrive so we can ensure we bring the correct materials and tools.
- We will guide you through all the stages of making your sheath.
What you need to bring
- Tool that needs a sheath
We will provide:
- Any hardware needed
- All tools (if you wish to bring your own favourites please check with us that they are suitable)
- Tea, coffee, and snacks
- Welcome, safety and housekeeping
- Sheath types and materials.
- Stitches etc
- Making a pattern
- Cutting out
- Stamping with a simple design
- Finishing with wax
- A demonstration of wet forming (this takes a minimum of 24 hours so it is something you can do at home)
- Care and maintenance
Cost £95:00 plus materials depending on the size of the project.
13th December 2023
14th January 2024
16th March 2024
20th April 2024
24th June 2024
23rd August 2024
4th October 2024