NB: Course price does not include a blade
This course is run in our woodland workshop in the South Downs National Park near Arundel.
Customising a blade of your choice with a handle that suits you is very satisfying and you will have a tool that you will feel proud of using.
The first step is to select your blade. Whether it is a 2cm craft knife or 25cm camp knife happy to offer our experience choosing it. We’ll need a picture against a ruler so we can do a little preparation of scales, handle or
bolster as required. We will also check to see if other hardware (pins, rivets etc) will be needed.
We have a wide range of handle materials among them:
- Spalted birch
- Massaranduba (Brazillian redwood)
- Horn and antler for fittings
The woods available and the suitability for different handle types will vary. We can advise you when we know the blade type.
- We will guide you through all the stages of the process
What you need to bring
We will provide:
- Handle materials
- Any hardware needed
- All tools (if you wish to bring your own favourites please check with us that they are suitable)
- Tea, coffee, and snacks
- Welcome, safety and housekeeping
- Blade types, handle types, metals and materials.
- Demonstration of how your handle will fit
- Rough shaping and fitting
- Final shaping and finishing
- Sharpening and care
See the sheath making course which can be combined with knife making over 2 days. For course attendees there is no charge for camping in the woods. Cooked breakfast on day 2 will be provided.
Cost £95:00 per person plus a cost for materials to be agreed prior to course commencing based on the design.
13th January 2024
25th March 2024
21st April 2024
14th July 2024
26th September 2024
19th September 2024
If the dates in our calendar do not suit your busy schedule please contact us to arrange a date that suits